(By Ernie Saxton) BECHTELSVILLE, PA June 3, 2012 . . . The results might have been different in the 30-lap USG sponsored NASCAR Whelen All American Series 358 Modified feature race at Grandview Speedway on Saturday night if Jeff Strunk had not had tire problems send him to the pits late in the race. However when the checkered flag fell it was Duane Howard steering the Blue Bell Air No. 4 to his fifth win of the season and increasing the four time champions lead in the chase for the lucrative point championship. Danny Snyder had to wait until late in the 20-lap Late Model feature to drive the Rhoads Brothers Livestock Hauling No. 4s past leader Lou Egrie Sr. to get his second win of the season. The 25-lap feature for Sportsman had Corey Sechrist wheeling the Vince’s Towing No. 41 to his first win of the season leading 23 of the 25 laps.
T.P. Trailers of Limerick, PA increased the win money in each division with the 358 Modified feature winner getting an additional $250 while the Late Model and Sportsman feature winners each received an additional $100 just for having the T.P. Trailers decals visible on each side of their winning race cars.
Eric Biehn set the pace at the drop of the green from his pole starting position and held the top spot for the first nine laps of the 358 Modified feature. Dan Waisempacher came from 4th to take the top spot on the 10th circuit of the one-third-mile, banked clay oval. Just two laps later Jon Kellner Sr., looking for his second win of the season, took the front spot. The veteran racer was able to hold the number on position until a restart after a caution for a multi-car accident on the 20th lap. Jeff Strunk, working his way through the field from his 14th starting spot, took the lead on the restart with Duane Howard in close pursuit.
Strunk and Howard staged a close battle for the top spot until the 24th lap when Strunk had to head to the pits because of tire problems and Howard was able to hold off any challenges to win his fifth feature race of the season. The Oley, PA racer increased his lead in the point chase. Howard has 2371 points with second place Strunk having 1988 counters.
Second spot in the Modified feature went to Jon Kellner Sr. (Lansdale) followed by Mike Gular (Green Lane), Ray Swinehart (Perkiomenville) and Meme DeSantis (Temple).
Erik Renninger was the early leader in the 25-lap Sportsman feature race but his lead lasted just two laps when Corey Sechrist charged to the front. The Womelsdorf racer was able to survive the carnage of a variety of cautions to lead the balance of the feature race and win his first feature at the Berks County oval. Ryan Beltz (Harleysville) had his best finish of the season with a second followed by Jared Umbenhauer (Richland), Bobby Lilick (Plymouth Meeting) and Brad Brightbill (Sinking Spring). Dave Dissinger, despite finishing 13th was able to hold on to his point lead in the chase for the Sportsman title.
The 12-lap qualifying heat races for the NASCAR 358 Modifieds were won by Kyle Weiss, Jon Kellner Sr., Ray Swinehart and Gary Hager while their 10-lap consolation races had wins going to Michael Weinert and Brad Missimer. In the 8-lap qualifiers for Late Models wins were earned by Wayne Pfeil, Steve Nederostek and Sean Merkel while the 8-lap qualifiers for the Sportsman had Mike Springer, Bobby Lilick Jr. and Corey Sechrist as winners. More than 90 cars participated in the qualifying events.
Duane Howard earned the Bobby Gunther Walsh And Sponsors Hard Charger award coming from 15th to 1st in the 358 Modified feature. Danny Snyder earned the Salvage Transport Hard Charger Award in the Late Model feature gaining 8 positions on his way to victory. And the Searock Lawn Care Hard Charger Award went to Paul Kline in the Sportsman featuring as he gained 12 positions.
The tenth place finisher in each feature received $50 gift certificates from Cargo Trailer Sales and each feature winner took home certificates good for two free dinners at the Texas Roadhouse Restaurant in Trexlertown, PA. The leader at the halfway mark in each feature earned the Dan’s Deli Hoagie awards.
Racing action returns to the one-third-mile, banked clay oval at Grandview Speedway on Saturday, June 9th, 7:30 p.m. with a tripleheader show of NASCAR 358 Modifieds, Late Models and Sportsman sponsored by T.P.Trailers of Limerick, PA. Modifieds run in a 30 lap feature while Late Models run a 20 lap feature and Sportsman top off the night with a 25-lap feature. Adult admission is just $15 while youngsters 12 and under are admitted FREE.
Grandview Speedway, a NASCAR sanctioned one-third-mile, banked clay track, is located at 43 Passmore Road, Bechtelsville, PA, just off Route 100, 10 miles north of Pottstown. For race information telephone 610.754.7688 or check in at www.grandviewspeedway.com. For marketing information telephone Ernie Saxton at 215.752.7797 or email Esaxton144@aol.com.
USG NASCAR 358 MODIFIED FEATURE, 30 LAPS: 1. Duane Howard 2. Jon Kellner Sr. 3. Mike Gular 4. Ray Swinehart 5. Meme DeSantis 6. John Willman 7. Tommy Scheetz III 8. Kevin Albert Jr. 9. Doug Manmiller 10. Craig VonDohren 11. Kyle Weiss 12. Dan Waisempacher 13. Michael Weinert 14. Gary Hager 15. Ryan Grim 16. Addison Meitzler 17. Kyle Follweiler 18. Brad Missimer 19. Jordon Umbenhauer 20. Jeremy Banos 21. Terry Meitzler 22. Shawn Reimert 23. Jeff Strunk 24. Kevin Hartnett 25. Chris Esposito 26. Justin Grim 27. Eric Biehn 28. Keith Brightbill
USG NASCAR SPORTSMAN, 25 LAPS: 1. Corey Sechrist 2. Ryan Beltz 3. Jared Umbenhauer 4. Bobby Lilick 5. Brad Brightbill 6. Bill Moyer Jr. 7. Craig Whitmoyer 8. Paul Kline 9. Kevin Beach 10. Joe Funk 11. Tim Apgar 12. Brian Hirthler 13. Dave Dissinger 14. Katie McCardle 15. Erik Renninger 16. Mike Lisowski 17.Justin Andrews 18. Mike Stringer 19. Kenny Gilmore 20. Matt Behm 21. Kyle Borror 22. Andy Fayash Jr. 23. Guy Germano 24. Steve Searock 25. Matt Hafer
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR 358 MODIFIEDS
AS OF JUNE 2 , 2012
1. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 2371*****
2. Jeff Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #357 1988
3. Craig VonDohren, Boyertown, PA #1C 1866
4. Mike Gular, Green Lane, PA #3G 1864
5. Doug Manmiller, Shoemakersville, PA #46 1841*
6. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #88D 1606*
7. Kyle Weiss, Hamburg, PA #21K 1557
8. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 1323
9. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 1227
10. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #58S 1196
11. Michael Weinert, Tamaqua, PA #18 1161
12. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #74W 1106
13. Tommy Scheetz Jr., Boyertown, PA #22 1081
14. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 1067
15. Brad Missimer, Bechtelsville, PA #327 1013
16. Ray Swinehart, Perkiomenville, PA #33 948
17. Kevin Hirthler, Boyertown, PA #117 911
18. Nate Christman, Oley, PA #37 892
19. Kyle Follweiler, Slatington, PA #42 892
20. Glenn Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #41 882
21. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #67 878*
22. Addison Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #21 875
23. Brad Grim, Allentown, PA #611 863
24. Jordan Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19 829
25. Jon Kellner Jr, Lansdale, PA #66 808
26. Ron Seltman, Lower Pottsgrove, PA #R19 765
27. Jarrad Miller, Barto, PA #917 761
28. Chris Esposito, Perkasie, PA #31 739
29. Kevin Albert, Lebanon, PA #3A 701
30. Gary Hagar, Stewartsville, NJ #44H-2 626
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR SPORTSMAN
AS OF JUNE 2, 2012
1. Dave Dissinger, Hamburg, PA #88X – 97 2067
2. Craig Whitmoyer, Hamburg, PA #99 1988**
3. Paul Kline, Muhlenberg, PA #14 1986
4. Brad Brightbill, Sinking Springs, PA #19 1875*
5. Jared Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19U – 00A 1839*
6. Kyle Borror, Peach Bottom, PA #84 1757
7. Joe Funk, Coopersburg, PA #14F 1644
8. Mike Lisowski, Minersville, PA #15 1621
9. Bobby Lilick, King of Prussia, PA #53 1596**
10. Ryan Beltz, Harleysville, PA #221 1460
11. Kevin Beach, Minersville, PA #17X 1401*
12. Brian Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #117 1399
13. Cory Sechrist, Womelsdorf, PA #41 1245*
14. Mike Stringer, Germansville, PA #23 1104
15. Mike Loney, Taylor, PA #17D 1064
16. Eric Renninger, Bridgewater, NJ #51 979
17. Steve Lozorak, Spring City, PA #23A 932
18. Steve Searock, Bath, PA #26 920
19. Tim Apgar, Flemington, NJ #98 858
20. Matt Hafer, Oley, PA #9 811
* denotes feature win (Feature wins listed are only those that are
NASCAR point events.)