BECHTELSVILLE, PA July 1, 2012 . . . It took until the final lap for Doug Manmiller to take the lead and the win in the 30-lap Bechtelsville Car Wash NASCAR Whelen 358 Modified feature race at Grandview Speedway on Saturday night. Mike Kellner used the 20-lap Late Model feature victory to tune-up for the Baro Trucking Firecracker 40 scheduled for this Saturday and Erik Renninger led all the laps on his way to his first career win in a 25-lap Sportsman feature race at the Berks County clay oval.
Bobby Gunther Walsh put his Altronics Security Systems No. 1 in front of the 32-car NASCAR 358 Modified feature starting field and ran the race of his career as he set the pace for half of the 30 laps before Justin Grim, who had been on the rear of the leader for all the laps, charged to the front.
Grim set the pace until the 25th lap when Chris Gambler spun while running in the top five bringing out the caution. On the restart Jeremy Banos, running what had to be the best race of his career, took control while Grim was shuffled back to fourth. On the 27th lap Grim hit the wall in the fourth turn and on the 29th lap a multi-car accident in Turn 3 gave Doug Manmiller, running second, a chance to use his many years of skill to charge past Banos on the restart and gain his second feature win of the season.
The Shoemakersville racer, who started in 18th position, brought the GMI Electric No. 46 to the checkered flag, in drag racing style, and victory by a narrow margin over second place finisher Banos (Oley) in his No. 3 Modified that is popular with young fans because of all the cartoon characters that cover the car. Chris Esposito (Perkasie) charged into third spot on the final lap moving NASCAR Whelen 358 Modified Series point leader Duane Howard (Oley), winner of seven features this season, to fourth in the final finish. Nine time track champion Jeff Strunk (Pottstown) came home fifth keeping him in second spot in the championship point chase.
Erik Renninger led all the laps in the 25-lap Sportsman feature race. The Bridgewater, NJ racer brought his TheWebmasterE sponsored No. 51 to victory lane by a comfortable margin of victory over second place finisher Kyle Borror (Minersville) who had come from 12th start spot. Third place was earned by lady racer Kaitie McCardle (Honeybrook). Paul Kline (Muhlenberg) and Jared Umbenhauer (Richland) claimed fourth and fifth.
Qualifying heat races for the NASCAR 358 Modifieds, 12 laps each, were won by Glenn Owens, Kyle Follweiler, Jason Clauss and Justin Grim while the consolation wins, 10 laps each, went to Tommy Scheetz Jr. and Shawn Reimert. In the Sportsman qualifiers, eight laps each, wins were earned by Steve Searock, Guy Germano and Erik Renninger.
The Bechtelsville Car Wash Cash Dash, 3 laps, paying $300 to the winner was won by young Mike Laise.
T.P. Trailers of Limerick paid cash bonuses to each feature winner with the Modified winner earning $250 and the Sportsman winner getting $100. VP Racing Fuels had $100 for Doug Manmiller for using VP Racing gasoline. Cargo Trailer Sales gave $50.00 gift certificates to a top performer in each feature race while Texas Roadhouse Restaurant of Trexlertown presented certificates good for 2 free dinners to each feature winner. Dan’s Deli in Boyertown had two giant hoagies for the halfway leader in each feature. Bobby Gunther Walsh and his Sponsors Hard Charger Award went to Doug Manmiller for going from 18th to 1st in the Modified feature. The Salvage Transport Service Hard Charger Award went to Sean Merkel in the Late Model feature while Searock Lawn Care paid their Hard Charger Award to Craig Whitmoyer in the Sportsman feature.
Racing action returns to the one-third-mile, banked clay oval at Grandview Speedway on Saturday, July 7, 7:30 p.m. with a doublheader show of NASCAR 358 Modifieds and Late Models sponsored by Baro Trucking. Late Models will top their night with their biggest event of the season, the Firecracker 40. A great FIREWORKS Display will highlight the evening. Kory Fleming will have a kids bicycle giveaway. Adult admission is $20, youngsters 6 through 12 pay $5 and under 6 are admitted FREE.
Grandview Speedway, a NASCAR sanctioned one-third-mile, banked clay track, is located at 43 Passmore Road, Bechtelsville, PA, just off Route 100, 10 miles north of Pottstown. For race information telephone 610.754.7688 or check in at www.grandviewspeedway.com. For marketing information telephone Ernie Saxton at 215.752.7797 or email Esaxton144@aol.com.
FEATURE RACE FINISHES
BECHTELSVILLE CAR WASH NASCAR 358 MODIFIED FEATURE, 30 LAPS: 1. Doug Manmiller 2. Jeremy Banos 3. Chris Esposito 4. Duane Howard 5. Jeff Strunk 6. Kyle Follweiler 7. Addison Meitzler 8. Craig VonDohren 9. Bobby Gunther Walsh 10. Keith Brightbill 11. Mike Gular 12. Shawn Reimert 13. Kevin Hirthler 14. Tommy Scheetz Jr. 15. Jon Kellner Sr. 16. Jason Clauss 17. Ryan Grim 18. Kyle Weiss 19. Todd Smith 20. Terry Meitzler 21. Don Norris Jr. 22. Justin Grim 23. Mike Laise 24. Glenn Owens 25. Jon Kellner Jr. 26. Michael Weinert 27. Meme DeSantis 28. Jordan Umbenhauer 29. Ray Swinehart 30. Chris Gambler 31. John Willman 32. Kenny Gilmore
BECHTELSVILLE CAR WASH NASCAR SPORTSMAN FEATURE, 25 LAPS: 1.Erik Renninger 2. Kyle Borror 3. Katie McCardle 4. Paul Kline 5. Jared Umbenhauer 6. Craig Whitmoyer 7. Dave Dissinger 8. Brad Brightbill 9. Joe Funk 10. Guy Germano 11. Kevin Beach 12. Mike Stringer 13. John Kovatch IV 14. Brian Hirthler 15. Kevin Brady 16. Steve Searock 17. Chris Jenkins 18. Tim Apgar 19. Mike Lisowski 20. Warren Kohler 21. John Quinn 22. Ryan Beltz 23. Bobby Lilick
UNOFFICIAL NASCAR GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY POINT STANDINGS
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR MODIFIEDS
AS OF JUNE 30 , 2012
1. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 3534*******
2. Doug Manmiller, Shoemakersville, PA #46 3010**
3. Craig VonDohren, Boyertown, PA #1C 2875
4. Jeff Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #357 2849
5. Mike Gular, Green Lane, PA #3G 2799
6. Kyle Weiss, Hamburg, PA #21K 2311
7. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #88D 2199*
8. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 1941
9. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 1934
10. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 1703
11. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #67 1704*
12. Tommy Scheetz Jr., Boyertown, PA #22 1593
13. Kevin Hirthler, Boyertown, PA #117 1550
14. Jordan Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19 1548
15. Jarrad Miller, Barto, PA #917 1526*
16. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #58S 1491
17. Chris Esposito, Perkasie, PA #31 1479
18. Nate Christman, Oley, PA #37 1402
19. Brad Missimer, Bechtelsville, PA #327 1343
20. Glenn Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #41 1342
21. Addison Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #21 1335
22. Kyle Follweiler, Slatington, PA #42 1276
23. Michael Weinert, Tamaqua, PA #18 1247
24. Ray Swinehart, Perkiomenville, PA #33 1235
25. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #74W 1164
26. Jon Kellner Jr., Lansdale, PA #67 947
27. Gary Hagar, Stewartsville, NJ #44H-2 946
28. Jeremy Banos, Oley, PA #3 914
29. Brad Grim, Allentown, PA #611 893
30. Ron Seltmann, Lower Pottsgrove, PA #R19 844
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR SPORTSMAN
AS OF JUNE 30, 2012
1. Craig Whitmoyer, Hamburg, PA #99 3110**
2. Jared Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19U – 00A 2916*
3. Dave Dissinger, Hamburg, PA #88X – 97 2888
4. Kyle Borror, Peach Bottom, PA #84 2744*
5. Paul Kline, Muhlenberg, PA #14 2729
6. Brad Brightbill, Sinking Springs, PA #19 2690*
7. Joe Funk, Coopersburg, PA #14J 2389
8. Kevin Beach, Minersville, PA #17X 2363*
9. Bobby Lilick, King of Prussia, PA #53 2299**
10. Brian Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #117 2273
11. Mike Lisowski, Minersville, PA #15 2190
12. Eric Renninger, Bridgewater, NJ #51 1935*
13. Ryan Beltz, Harleysville, PA #221 1871
14. Cory Sechrist, Womelsdorf, PA #41 1781*
15. Mike Stringer, Germansville, PA #23 1763*
16. Steve Searock, Bath, PA #26 1499
17. Tim Apgar, Flemington, NJ #98 1358
18. John Kovatch IV, #00 1287
19. Kenny Gilmore, Kutztown, PA #7 1266
20. Mike Loney, Taylor, PA #17D 1064
* denotes feature win (Feature wins listed are only those that are
NASCAR point events.)