BECHTELSVILLE, PA July 15, 2012 — Glenn Owens in his “Hoagie Wagon” was in front of the 28-car starting field for the 30-lap NASCAR 358 Modified feature for the first two laps with Bobby Gunther Walsh charging into first on the third circuit. An early race caution for a two car tangle in Turn 3 had Owens back in front on the restart but Walsh was quick to regain the front spot.
Walsh, a WAEB-790AM on air radio personality, set the pace until a dozen laps were completed with Chris Esposito able to take control. Just past the midway point Duane Howard, who had worked his way up from a 16th place starting position, challenged for the lead. A multi-car accident brought out the caution. Meme DeSantis, a fan favorite, had front end problems send him to the pits. On the restart Esposito had mechanical problems send him to the infield giving the lead to Duane Howard.
Once in front Howard (Oley) was able to keep the Blue Bell Air No. 4 in the number one spot leading Doug Manmiller to the checkered flag. Manmiller (Shoemakersville) came from 26th starting spot to grab the runner-up finish. Mike Laise (Pottstown) had his best finish of the season holding on to third in a spirited battle with Jeff Strunk that lasted several laps. Nine time track champion Strunk (Pottstown) finished fourth followed by Kyle Follweiler.
Craig VonDohren, the six time track champion, started last in the feature and managed a strong seventh place finish.
Ryan Beltz made a strong run on the first lap to take first spot from Guy Germano and be the leader at the completion of the first circuit of the one-third-mile oval in the 25-lap Sportsman feature race. Beltz stayed in front until a multi car accident on the 6th lap brought out the caution and on the restart Germano was able to regain the lead. A few laps later Beltz was back in front but at the 16th lap Joe Funk, coming from ninth, put his Morrisville Tavern No. 14J in front. At the same time Beltz went to the pits done for the night.
Funk (Coopersburg) was able to hold off challenges for the final laps and took home his first win at Grandview. Second place was earned by John Kovatch IV followed by Kyle Borror, Jared Umbenhauer and Kenny Gilmore.
Qualifying heat race wins (each 12 laps) for the NASCAR 358 Modifieds were won by Gary Hager, Jeff Strunk, Ron Seltman and Mike Laise while the two 10-lap consolation races were won by Kevin Hirthler and Rick Laubach. In the Sportsman division the three eight lap qualifiers went to Kenny Gilmore, Guy Germano and Ryan Beltz while the Late Model qualifiers, both eight laps, were won by Bill Henning and Sean Merkel.
Texas Roadhouse Restaurant of Wyomissing, PA presented two free dinners to each feature winner on Saturday night. The feature winners also received cash bonuses from T.P.Trailers of Limerick, PA. Cargo Trailer Sales presented $50 gift certificates to the 10th place finishers in each feature while Dan’s Deli of Boyertown, PA had two large hoagies for the leader at the halfway mark in each feature race. The Bobby Gunther Walsh and Sponsors Hard Charger Award in the 358 Modified feature went to Doug Manmiller for gaining 24 positions. In the Late Models the Salvage Transport Service Hard Charger Award was earned by Lou Egrie Sr. as he gained 10 positions in the feature. In the Sportsman feature Paul Kline earned the Searock’s Lawn Care Hard Charger Award gaining 13 spots.
Racing action returns to the one-third-mile, banked clay oval at Grandview Speedway on Saturday, July 21, 7:30 p.m. the Bashore/Pepsi Challenge featuring the URC Sprint Cars, NASCAR 358 Modifieds and the Pepsi Challenge that has Modified racers going one-on-one until just the winner remains and collects $1,500. The Modified feature rewards the winner with a starting spot in the SuperNationals. Adult admission is $22, youngsters 6 through 12 pay just $5 and kids under 6 are admitted FREE.
Grandview Speedway, a NASCAR sanctioned one-third-mile, banked clay track, is located at 43 Passmore Road, Bechtelsville, PA, just off Route 100, 10 miles north of Pottstown. For race information telephone 610.754.7688 or check in at www.grandviewspeedway.com. For marketing information telephone Ernie Saxton at 215.752.7797 or email Esaxton144@aol.com.
FEATURE RACE FINISHES
BARO TRUCKING NASCAR 358 MODIFIED FEATURE, 30 LAPS: 1. Duane Howard 2. Doug Manmiller 3. Mike Laise 4. Jeff Strunk 5. Kyle Follweiler 6. Kevin Hirthler 7. Craig VonDohren 8. Nate Christman 9. Mike Gular 10. Tommy Scheetz III 11. Jarrad Miller 12. Gary Hager 13. Jon Kellner Sr. 14. Shawn Reimert 15. Ryan Grim 16. Addison Meitzler 17. Rick Laubach 18. Terry Meitzler 19. Glenn Strunk 20. Jordan Umbenhauer 21. Bobby Gunther Walsh 22. Ron Seltman 23. Glenn Owens 24. Chris Esposito 25. Meme DeSantis 26. Kyle Weiss 27. Brad Missimer 28. Jon Kellner Jr.
BARO TRUCK NASCAR SPORTSMAN FEATURE, 25 LAPS: 1. Joe Funk 2. John Kovatch IV 3. Kyle Borror 4. Brad Brightbill 5. Kenny Gilmore 6. Jared Umbenhauer 7. Kevin Beach 8. Paul Kline 9. Guy Germano 10. Tim Apgar 11. Bobby Lilick 12. Dave Dissinger 13. Matt Hafer 14. Brian Hirthler 15. Erik Renninger 16. Craig Whitmoyer 17. Mike Stringer 18. Ryan Beltz 19. Kaitie McCardle 20. Chris Jenkins 21. Steve Young 22. Mike Lisowski 23. Kevin Brady 24. Robbie Boyer 25. John Quinn
UNOFFICIAL NASCAR GRANDVIEW SPEEDWAY POINT STANDINGS
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR MODIFIEDS AS OF JULY 14 , 2012
1. Duane Howard, Oley, PA #4 3842********
2. Doug Manmiller, Shoemakersville, PA #46 3303**
3. Jeff Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #357 3129
4. Craig VonDohren, Boyertown, PA #1C 3115
5. Mike Gular, Green Lane, PA #3G 3022
6. Kyle Weiss, Hamburg, PA #21K 2367
7. Meme DeSantis, Temple, PA #88D 2266*
8. Ryan Grim, Laury’s Station, PA #17 2109
9. Terry Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #81 2071
10. Jon Kellner Sr., Lansdale, PA #67 1890*
11. Tommy Scheetz III., Boyertown, PA #22 1810
12. Kevin Hirthler, Boyertown, PA #117 1806
13. Jarrad Miller, Barto, PA #917 1730*
14. Don Norris, Douglassville, PA #976 1718
15. Shawn Reimert, Oley, PA #58S 1665
16. Jordan Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19 1660
17. Nate Christman, Oley, PA #37 1640
18. Chris Esposito, Perkasie, PA #31 1558
19. Kyle Follweiler, Slatington, PA #42 1545
20. Addison Meitzler, Kutztown, PA #21 1491
21. Glenn Strunk, Bechtelsville, PA #41 1468
22. Brad Missimer, Bechtelsville, PA #327 1391
23. Michael Weinert, Tamaqua, PA #18 1257
24. Ray Swinehart, Perkiomenville, PA #33 1245
25. John Willman, Birdsboro, PA #74W/20 1174
26. Gary Hagar, Stewartsville, NJ #44H-2 1146
27. Mike Laise, Pottstown, PA #15 1080
28. Jon Kellner Jr., Lansdale, PA #67 982
29. Ron Seltmann, Lower Pottsgrove, PA #R19 944
30. Jeremy Banos, Oley, PA #3 924
UNOFFICIAL POINT STANDINGS FOR NASCAR SPORTSMAN AS OF JULY 14, 2012
1. Craig Whitmoyer, Hamburg, PA #99 3269**
2. Jared Umbenhauer, Richland, PA #19U – 00A 3172*
3. Dave Dissinger, Hamburg, PA #88X – 97 3083
4. Kyle Borror, Peach Bottom, PA #84 3029*
5. Brad Brightbill, Sinking Springs, PA #19 2967*
6. Paul Kline, Muhlenberg, PA #14 2959
7. Joe Funk, Coopersburg, PA #14J 2697*
8. Kevin Beach, Minersville, PA #17X 2611*
9. Bobby Lilick, King of Prussia, PA #53 2499**
10. Brian Hirthler, Green Lane, PA #117 2449
11. Mike Lisowski, Minersville, PA #15 2289
12. Eric Renninger, Bridgewater, NJ #51 2101*
13. Ryan Beltz, Harleysville, PA #221 2011
14. Mike Stringer, Germansville, PA #23 1909*
15. Cory Sechrist, Womelsdorf, PA #41 1781*
16. John Kovatch IV, #00 1585
17. Tim Apgar, Flemington, NJ #98 1573
18. Kenny Gilmore, Kutztown, PA #7 1536
19. Steve Searock, Bath, PA #26 1499
20. Matt Hafer, Oley, PA #9 1161
* denotes feature win (Feature wins listed are only those that are
NASCAR point events.)